Fountain solutions are used in offset printing to keep the areas of the plate that do not have printing graphics clean and ink-free. They work by desensitizing the non-image areas, rendering them ink-repellent. Fountain additives in an offset press water fountain can:
- Stabilize pH.
- Set surface tension.
- Partially bind hardness materials.
- Prevent excess friction, heat, and wear.
- Enhance the lubricating effect of water.
- Provide a uniform water transfer.
- Reduce contaminate build up on blankets and rollers.